Tag Archives: Cut-outs

Module 1 Chapter 3

Design Sheet A

For Design Sheet A, I decided to stay with the origami compass rose I folded for Chapter 1, and also the simplified Toulouse cross I used for Chapter 2.

The enclosed negative shape formed by placing four Toulouse crosses in a square is an eight-petalled flower shaped star.

The asymmetry and distortion exercises were a challenge.  The asymmetric star was produced using the Fibonacci series to re-space the quarter points from exercise iii.  This involved calculating proportions for each point at which a line on my star crossed a segment of the lines of symmetry from exercise iii, and translating this to the corresponding point on the lines of asymmetry (?!) on exercise iv.  It took me a while to work out how to do this.  Constructing the perspective distortion example was easier – I found that I could just project lines across from the ‘symmetry’ example.  It is possible to see some of the construction lines on the image below:

Construction 1

I realised that while the star shape worked well for the asymmetry and perspective distortion exercises, I probably needed a shape with some design bulk along the outline and, especially, in the corners to make sense of exercise 6, so I moved back to the Toulouse cross.  To begin with, the ‘tights’ method worked well for the distortion designs in exercise vi, but I found it quite difficult to get the outline of the cross on my tights to conform to the new shapes, so ended up placing the outlines on a block of styrofoam, then pinning the tights over them, stretching as I went, and securing the new outline with lots of pins.  The excess tights material could then be pinned out of the way, and the designs traced onto tracing paper before transferring using carbon paper to my coloured paper and cutting out.

tights

 

Here is Design Sheet A:

Design Sheet A

I realised after constructing my repeat pattern using the triangle shape (which I arranged radially) that if I had used the diamond shape, I would have made a six-pointed star.

Design Sheet B

Design Sheet B appears rather busy:

Design Sheet B

The gold ink is a little difficult to see on the red background.  The shape combinations are quite interesting, I think.  The cross with the arrow corners lends itself to interlace design, too, although I couldn’t quite get this happening in the border and corner repeat without obscuring substantial proportions of the green stars one-out from the corner to a degree I wasn’t happy with.

Design Sheet C

The shapes on Design Sheet C are all based upon the compass rose star:

Design Sheet C

I went with the instructions to make each quadrant in Exercise i more complex than the previous one.  Quadrant 2 is the one most similar to the original star.  Quadrant 3 has a decidedly art deco look about it, and quadrant 4 looks disturbingly like a migraine!  The first time I attempted this exercise I didn’t think it through properly (same quadrants each time from the same colour) and, when I put it together, it had lost the contrast effect.  I tried rotating the second star by 90 degrees but then lost the shape repeat, so I cut the second star again to match the first.  I used Quadrant 2 in Exercise ii to produce the new motif, which reminds me of a Bogong moth.  I found this was a good shape to overlap, interlock and make interesting geometrical arrangements from.  In Exercise iv, I used some of the hairy Japanese paper I painted for Chapter 2, and also some of the hand-made metallic paper (in the centre), together with my moth motif and the arrow shapes from Exercise ii.  I think overall the tessellated pattern in Exercise vi is the most interesting.

Advertisements